‘Twas the night before a home visit

‘Twas the night before a home visit, when all through our house
All medicine and chemicals were locked away by my spouse;
The evacuation map was hung by the children’s bedrooms with care,
In hopes that my 1 year old could follow it if a fire should flare;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds;
Which were all non drop sided cribs without bumpers for their heads;
And me in my best yoga pants and him in no shirt or a cap.  Have just started filling out, our paperwork stack.
When what to my wondering eyes did appear,
That outlet is uncovered, oh no!  Oh dear!
With a little old notebook so lively and quick,
She’ll be here real soon, the outlet covers I must stick!
More rapid than eagles yearly licensing has came,
More photographs, more background checks, more and more of the same:
To the top of the porch! To the top of the wall!
We cleaned it! We stashed it! We put away all!”
She will speak not a word, but go straight to her work,
Check off all the boxes; hopefully not mentioning our quirks,
And laying her finger aside of her nose,
And giving a nod, I think we might be good to go;
Then I hear her exclaim, as she drives out of sight—
“You passed, you’re re-licensed, don’t forget your medication log, good night”

kelli

dropping anchors outleft safety copy

Advertisements

About KelliNichole

Believer. Wife. Mama. Photographer. Traveler. Dreamer. Floridian. Building our family through foster care & adoption.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to ‘Twas the night before a home visit

1. This is absolutely hilarious! Loved it!!

2. Sara says:

Haha!! So cute.

3. Hilarious! Recently we had what I call A FOSTER DRILL—when the social worker called about an emergency placement, we got the house ready (just like your poem!), and then they found a relative to take the kids. I told the social worker he should come on over anyway because the house looked awesome!!

4. Pam says:

I laughed so hard and then had to read it to my teen daughter. Hilarious…thanks for sharing your creativity. Wish I could pass this onto my social worker, she would love it.

5. Becka Asper says:

Thanks for this!! We are just starting our journey into foster care, and it helps so much to read others experiences with it! https://beckaasper.wordpress.com/2015/11/29/our-latest-invitation-foster-care/

• KelliNichole says:

Welcome Becka! Be sure to connect with our Facebook page so we can stay connected during your foster care journey!

6. Jenna says:

So hilarious and so very true! Our annual review (as they call it in Ontario) is always due right before Christmas. I took a chance and left the booze out this year because we were having a party that night and we live on the edge like that! I’d love to share this on our new website (FASD Families with a link back to you if that’s okay 🙂 Too funny!

7. So, so funny. Thank you!

8. Traci Wiley says:

I love this! We are having our first homestudy Tuesday evening.